Christmas biscuits (Plätzchen)
In Germany during Advent, the weeks leading to Christmas, cakes and biscuits are a traditional and much-loved snack. As well as the delicious Lebkuchen (gingerbread biscuits) there are also many delicious varieties of Plätzchen (Christmas biscuits) on offer. These tasty biscuits come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. They are often quite spicy and both taste and smell delicious.
Here is a simple recipe for Vanillekipferl, a classic German Christmas biscuit:
You will need:
210 g flour
150 g butter
80 g ground almonds
80 g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces and mix with the flour.
- Add the powdered sugar, ground almonds, vanilla essence and the egg.
- Rinse your hands with cold water and quickly knead the mixture into a firm dough.
- Chill for half an hour.
- Form thumb-thick rolls from the dough, cut into 1 cm wide pieces and form to make a crescent shape.
- Bake at medium heat (160° Celsius) for 10-15 minutes until light gold in colour.
- Turn the crescents in a mixture of powdered sugar while still hot.
Words Ahoy! · Wörter Ahoi!